A GOOD GIFT FROM THE LORD
A good wife is one of the greatest blessings that man can receive in this life. He that seeks a godly wife with care and prayer, when he finds her, will have found a rare jewel.
A faithful, godly, submissive wife is a token of Lord'l favor, and He certainly deserves to be thanked for such a rare and precious gift.
We see several things in our text:
1. We see that celibacy is not the natural way of life.
a. Some would lead us to believe that we could be more spiritual if we were to remain unmarried. However, under normal circumstances, the Lord never intended for a man or woman to go through life alone.
b. The Lord God made man for woman and woman for man. Even before the Fall, the Lord declared, 'It is not good for man to be alone?(Gen. 2:18).
c. From the very beginning the Lord has ordained and blessed the union of a man and woman in holy matrimony. Gen. 2:20-25.
2. We see that monogamy (monog'a-mi) is the true marriage.
a. Monogamy means 'Being married to only one person at a time.'
- Solomon says, ?Whoso findeth A WIFE findeth a good thing.'
b. Polygamy means 'To be married to more than one person at time.'
- Though some men had more that one wife, the Lord never put His approval upon this relationship.
3. A godly wife is a blessed gift from God.
I. A GODLY WIFE IS A PRECIOUS POSSESSION v. 22a
A. A wife can be the source of great joy of much sorrow.
1. Manoah found a godly wife that brought him much joy. Jud. 13.
a. She loved her husband and feared the Lord.
b. She served the Lord and He gave her the privilege of giving birth to Samson, who was a strong man, and the last of the judges of Israel.
2. Job'l wife did not seem to be a virtuous woman. Job. 2:9-10.
a. She did not fear God.
b. And she spoke as a fool.
B. Some characteristics of a godly wife.
1. A godly wife will be a GOOD WOMAN.
a. She will help her husband and even sympathize with him.
b. The Lord will strengthen their relationship. Ecc. 4:11-12.
2. A godly wife is one who has trusted Christ and is faithfully serving Him. Prov. 31:30.
a. She brings honor to her husband. She 'Is a crown to her husband?(Prov. 12:4).
b. She is precious. 'Her price is far above rubies?(Prov. 31:10).
c. She is faithful and energetic. Prov. 31:11-12.
d. She receives the joy and confidence of her husband.
Prov. 31:23, 28.
e. She is praised by her family and by all that know her.
C. The Lord warns of being UNEQUALLY YOKED to unbelievers. II Cor. 6:14-18.
1. No Christian should be made ?one flesh? with a person that has not chosen Jesus Christ as his or her Lord and Savior.
2. The image of Christ is the best mark of beauty that a person should look for in a prospective mate.
3. We must beware of running ahead of the Lord.
II. A GODLY WIFE IS A DIVINE GIFT v. 22b; Prov. 19:14.
- All good things come from the Lord.
A. The godly wife is brought to her husband by the providence of God.
1. The Lord brought Eve to Adam. Gen. 2:22.
2. The providence of God drew Ruth to Boaz, her appointed husband. Ruth 1:1-4; 4:13.
B. A young man is to seek the Lord'l guidance in finding a mate.
1. When we trust the Lord, 'He shall choose our inheritance for us...'(Ps. 47:4).
a. We submit our will, our desire, and our choice totally to our Lord.
b. Believers are to be like sheep that are submissive to the desire of their shepherd.
c. God's choice is better than ours.
2. Adam received his wife 'From the Lord.'
a. A wife was one of the first real and royal gifts that the Lord bestowed on Adam.
b. She was a token of His special favor.
A godly wife is a gift from the Lord, and a token of His special favor. Prov. 18:22.
It is God that gives a wise and discreet woman to be a helpmeet to a man. Prov. 19:14.
If a man has such a wife, let him ascribe it to the goodness of God, who has brought them together by His providential hand.