THE OFFICES OF CHRIST
Text v. 2
In the book of Hebrews, we see Jesus as PROPHET, proclaiming the Word; as PRIEST, offering a sacrifice for sin; and as KING, ruling and reigning from on high.
The “Messiah” (Hebrew) and “Christ” (Greek) both mean “the anointed One.”
Christ was anointed by the Holy Spirit at His baptism (Heb. 1:9).
A. The anointing of the Spirit set Him aside as the Prophet who came to reveal God to man, and show man the way of salvation.
1. The Prophet came to reveal God to man (Jn. , 18; Col. 1:15; Heb. 1:3).
2. The Holy Spirit reminds us of the Words of the Prophet (Jn. ).
3. The Prophet reveals God’s will to His own (Jn. ).
B. Christ came to show man the way of salvation (Jn. 14:6).
C. Everyone who will not heed the words of this Prophet shall be destroyed (Acts -23).
1. The only way to be saved is to hear and obey Christ.
2. Those who will not believe what He says nor do what He commands bring about their own destruction.
3. Many who disobeyed Moses were destroyed, and a greater than Moses is here.
4. The apostle therefore warns, “How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation?”(Heb. 2:3).
5. There is no avoiding the righteous punishment of those who reject the gospel message (II Thess. 1:7-9; Heb. 10:26-31).
6. The only place of safety is to hear and to heed the Gospel (Mk. -16).
II. CHRIST IS THE ANOINTED PRIEST (Heb. ).
A. As Priest, Christ became our perfect sacrifice for sin (Heb. -12,14)
1. The Lord Christ came in the office of a Priest to offer Himself, once for all time, as a sacrifice to satisfy divine justice, and to reconcile us to God, in making continual intercession for us.
B. Christ took our sin on Himself (I Pet. ).
1. The sinless Son of God suffered in our place in order that He might bring us to God (I Pet. ; II Cor. ).
2. Christ bore our sins in His own body when He hung on the cross (Heb. ).
C. Christ took on human flesh in order that He might reconcile us to God (Heb. -17).
D. Christ, our resurrected Priest, is in heaven today making intercession to God for us (Heb. ; -16; ; ).
E. God’s elect are safe in Christ (Rom. -34).
III. CHRIST IS THE ANOINTED KING
- Pilate wrote on the cross, “Jesus of Nazareth the King of the Jews”(Jn. ).
- In His time, Christ will declare Himself to be King of kings (I Tim. -16).
A. As King, the Lord Christ rules over His creation today.
1. He subdues us to Himself (Phil. -21).
2. He rules over us and defends us.
B. Christ is coming soon to set up His kingdom on earth.
1. The faithful Christian will rule and reign with Him.
2. Those who overcome will be allowed to sit with Him on His throne (Rev. 3:21).
3. The overcomers are those who have put their faith in Jesus Christ (I Jn. 5:4-5).
4. Those who are raised at the rapture shall reign with Christ during the millennium (Rev. 20:6).
C. Christ will rule and reign forever (Rev. 19:11-16).
- You will either reign with Him or be put under His feet…