A GLIMPSE INTO ETERNITY (II)
Every individual will spend eternity somewhere. If a person rejects the Lord Jesus Christ as his only Savior, he will spend eternity separated from God in the lake of fire. Rev. 20:15; 21:8.
Those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ will spend eternity in Heaven with the Lord. Jn. 3:16, 18, 36.
The saved are those who have their names written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. Acts 4:12; Rev. 21:27.
In PART I, we discussed THE ETERNAL STATE OF THE UNSAVED.
Now in PART II, see THE ETERNAL STATE OF THE SAVED.
- We must beware of wolves in sheep’s clothing!
- There are those who teach that there is no salvation outside of the Catholic Church.
They teach that tradition and the words of the Pope have greater value than the Word of God.
- There are others that teach that a person is saved by his good works or by being baptized.
- We are to
beware of anyone that contradicts the Word of God.
I. THE SAVED WILL SPEND ETERNITY IN HEAVEN
A. There will be a NEW HEAVEN and NEW EARTH.
1. God will purge
this old sin-cursed earth by fire.
Ps. 102:25-28; II Pet. 3:1-18.
2. Sin will be totally destroyed.
3. There will be an entirely new environment for man.
B. God will personally dwell with men. Rev. 21:3.
1. The sovereign God will dwell with His people.
2. This will fill their hearts with joy.
C. All tears shall be removed. v. 4.
1. All the cause of tears shall be removed.
- No more problems, pain, crying, or sorrow.
2. Even the memory of loved ones in Hell shall be removed in that day.
D. DEATH will be obliterated (completely done away with).
1. Death is our enemy. I Cor. 15:25-26.
2. Death came as a result of sin. Rom. 5:12, 17a.
“The wages of sin is death…”(Rom. ).
3. In eternity, both physical and spiritual death will have been destroyed. I Cor. 15:54-57.
4. Even the cause of death will cease to exist.
- Sorrow, pain, disease…all will be a thing of the past.
E. This is what all of us who love and serve the Lord Jesus have to look forward to.
II. THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRANCE INTO THE RIGHTEOUS STATE
A. Heaven is reserved for certain people.
1. Only those who
have been born again will ever see Heaven.
2. The way into Heaven is very narrow. Mt. 7:13-14.
a. The way to Hell is wide open, broad, and crowded.
b. The way to Heaven, on the other hand, can be entered only through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Lk. 13:24.
3. No sin can enter the presence of God, so our sin must be put away before we can be admitted to Heaven. Rom. 6:23.
B. Our Lord came to redeem us from the curse of sin.
1. He came to prepare a people, and now He has gone to prepare a place for that people.
2. He has gone to prepare a place for us. Jn. 14:2.
3. No one can go to heaven apart from faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Jn. 14:6.
C. The eternal state with Christ is reserved for those who have made a specific decision while here on earth.
- This involves coming to God through Christ, and receiving the righteousness which He possesses. Heb. 7:25.