A GLIMPSE INTO ETERNITY I
Rev. 21:1-8, 22-27
An intelligent study of Scripture will reveal the reality of eternity. Though we don’t fully comprehend everything about eternal matters, we cannot deny the fact that every individual will spend eternity somewhere.
ETERNITY, in the Bible, refers to the future condition of mankind which will have no end or consummation.
It is hard for us to comprehend an eternal existence because all we know is time. Only as a person becomes familiar with the eternal God, as portrayed by the Word of God, can he begin to realize the true meaning of eternity.
ETERNITY is the final act in God’s prophetic plan as it relates to man. It is described in the last two chapters of Revelation. Here we see the destiny of the saved, but we also catch a glimpse of what is in store for the unsaved.
PART I – THE ETERNAL STATE OF THE UNSAVED.
I. THE UNSAVED WILL SPEND ETERNITY IN THE LAKE OF
Rev. 20:15; 21:8
A. “The Lake of Fire” is the place for the devil and involves eternal punishment.
B. It is also designated as the “second death.”
1. The unsaved dead will find themselves facing a “second death” which is eternal separation from God.
2. Spiritual death does not mean physical death but separation from eternal life.
3. The “second death” does not mean annihilation, but eternal separation from eternal life with God.
A. Those in Hell are in a place of torments. vv. 24-25, 27-28.
1. This man desired a drink of water…
2. The Lord frequently warned of the eternal torments of the lost.
B. There is conscious suffering.
1. The rich man could speak, he could express his desires.
2. He was not annihilated, neither was he unconscious.
3. Hell is an eternal place of conscious suffering.
C. Those in Hell are able to remember.
1. The rich man
remembered his brothers who were still on earth.
2. He remembered how they could escape this eternal torment.
3. The lost will be able to remember the opportunities they had to be saved but rejected.
D. The state of those in Hell is unchangeable. v. 26.
“There is a great gulf fixed…”
1. Once a person is in Hell, he is there for eternity.
2. There is no such thing as purgatory spoken of in the Word of God.
III. THE INHABITANTS OF THE LAKE OF FIRE
A. The Devil will be there.
1. The lake of fire is the eternal abode of Satan. Rev. 20:10.
2. Along with him will be the Beast, the False Prophet and, no doubt, the hosts of Satan’s kingdom.
B. Various classes of individuals will also be in the lake of fire. Rev. 21:8.
1. The fearful…
a. These feared to be saved because of what it might cost them in terms of money, influence, and friends.
b. “The fear of man bringeth a snare”(Prov. 29:25).
c. This is the greatest hindrance in people getting saved.
2. The unbelieving…
- This is the great sin that will keep many out of Heaven and will send them to an eternal Hell.
3. The abominable…
a. These are the blasphemers, the filthy-minded, those who make light of God.
b. They may be very respectable outwardly but corrupt inwardly.
4. The murderers…
- These die in their sins because of their hatred for Christians or for Christ Himself.
5. The whoremongers…
- These preferred their sin of immorality to the Savior.
6. The sorcerers…
a. These attempted to get to Heaven by means of satanic substitution.
b. This includes the various cults and perverted religious philosophy.
7. The next class involves the idolaters…
a. These have substituted something in the place of God.
b. This can be money, fame, prestige or power.
8. Last we see the liars…
a. These are those who profess but do not possess.
b. They are also called “hypocrites.”
The Lord has given us a very clear picture of the inhabitants of the lake of fire.
The only way to miss Hell is to turn from your sin and believe on Christ as your Lord and Savior.
You must be born again…Jn. 3:3, 5-7, 14-18, 36.