THE BATTLE OF THE AGES
The Word of God is a beacon of light and hope in this old dark sin-cursed world. The Lord promises an eternal inheritance for every child of God in His kingdom.
However, the only thing that the unsaved have to look forward to is the coming judgment of God on their sin.
In this chapter we have an account of the final outpouring of God’s wrath in the seven vial (bowl) judgments. These judgments are more severe than all the previous judgments. The severity of these judgments reveals how God feels about those who persistently and willfully reject Him.
Immediately following the seven bowl judgments, the Lord Jesus Christ will return, destroy the armies of the world at the Battle of Armageddon, and establish His universal rule on the earth.
We live in a day of wars and rumors of wars. This is definitely a sign of the last days. We are all familiar with the great battles in days past. Who has not heard of World War I, World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam? There was the war in Afghanistan and in Iraq.
The Bible tells us of a coming battle, which will make all the battles of the past look insignificant. The greatest Biblically recorded battle is still in the future. The battle of Armageddon will be absolutely unmatched in significance and intensity. This will be a direct conflict between the armies of Satan and the armies of God. No battle in history has or will be as destructive and vicious as the Battle of Armageddon.
The Bible declares it to be “the battle of that great day of God Almighty”(Rev. 16:14).
Let’s note some things about this great battle.
I. THE LOCATION WHERE THIS BATTLE WILL TAKE PLACE
A. This battle will be fought in a place called ARMAGEDDON.
1. This is a Hebrew word meaning, “the hill of Megiddo.”
2. Megiddo means, “slaughter.”
3. Thus, this may be called the mountain of slaughter.
B. Armageddon is located generally West of the Jordan River in the area of the valley of Jezreel and Mount Megiddo.
1. It was the scene of many of the decisive battles of scripture.
a. This was the place where Gideon defeated the Midianites.
b. This is where Saul died at the hands of the Philistines
(I Sam. 31:1-13; II Sam. 4:4).
2. Armageddon is a triangular-shaped spot, in Palestine where the demonically deceived nations of the world will try to destroy the Jews and end up fighting against God Himself.
II. THE TIME WHEN THIS BATTLE WILL TAKE PLACE
A. This event will take place at the close of the Tribulation.
B. The coming of the Lord will take place in two distinct phases.
1. He will return in the air to call the saints to Himself in what we know as the Rapture.
2. He will return to this earth with His saints to establish His Kingdom here.
C. This battle will occur at the time the Lord Jesus Christ returns to earth to establish His Millennial Kingdom.
- The saints will witness the army of Satan being destroyed by the glory of the Lord.
D. We can identify the Lord’s return to earth with the great STONE in Daniel’s prophecy. Dan. 2:31-35.
- This will mark the end of Gentile world dominion and the beginning of the time when the Jew will once again be restored to favor with God.
III. THE FINAL OUTCOME OF THIS GREAT BATTLE
A. Who would dare lead his forces against God and His people?
- It is strange to think that men with any kind of intelligence would ever attempt such a thing.
B. The Beast and the False Prophet, who are empowered by Satan, will lead the armies of the world to destroy Jerusalem and the Jews. Zech. 14:1-2.
C. The supernatural God will lead His forces, composed of the angelic army, to completely defeat the Satanic foes.
1. The Lord will go forth and fight against those who are attempting to destroy Jerusalem. Zech. 14:3-4; Rev. 16:17-21.
2. The Lord will utterly destroy this wicked army by His glory. Rev. 19:17-21; Zech. 14:9, 12.
a. This is a gruesome description of the outcome of this great battle.
b. It is one of the most horrible pictures that God has ever permitted us to see.
c. The fowls of heaven have come to feed on the flesh of those who rebelled against God. Rev. 19:17-18.
3. No one is exempt—high and low, influential and inconspicuous, all fall under the judgment of God.
4. Even the Beast and the False Prophet are taken by Jesus Christ and cast into the Lake of Fire. Rev. 19:20.
IV. THE CONCLUSION OF THIS GREAT BATTLE WILL USHER IN THE GOLDEN AGE
1. God is righteous.
- It is impossible to fight against Him without losing.
- All that have not received Christ as Lord and Savior are dwelling under the wrath of God. Jn. 3:18, 36.
- When Christ comes, He will cast the God rejector from His holy presence.
2. In His grace, God has made a wonderful provision for sinful man. Ps. 2:12
- If we repent of our sin and place our faith and trust in the shed blood of Christ, we can know that we are on the side of victory.
3. Will you meet Christ in the air, or will you meet Him on this earth when He comes in judgment?