THE TRIBULATION PERIOD II
1. In our last lesson we saw that there is a definite period of time, spoken of in Scripture, in which there will be “Great Tribulation.”
2. This seven-year period is also known as “Daniel’s Seventieth Week” (Dan. 9:27).
3. Our Lord described this period when He taught on the “End Times” (Mt. 24).
Today, we want to take a glance at the Tribulation period as described in the Revelation.
I. THE BOOK OF THE REVELATION OF CHRIST IS DIVIDED INTO THREE PARTS Rev. 1:19
1. “The things which THOU HAST SEEN…” – The past
- These are the glories of the risen Christ as seen in chapter 1.
2. “The things which ARE…” – The present
- Here we have the history of Christianity…chapters 2-3.
- It is very evident that the Lord has chosen to work through His local churches.
3. “The things which SHALL BE HEREAFTER…” – The future
- Here we see the things that will take place after Christ’s return for His own. Chapters 4-22.
- It appears that everything from the beginning of chapter 4 to almost the end of chapter 19 deals with the Tribulation.
II. A GENERAL OUTLINE OF EVENTS THAT TAKE PLACE DURING THE TRIBULATION
A. We are introduced to a series of terrible events beginning in chapter 6.
1. God puts these events under twenty-one different headings.
- There are seven seals, seven trumpets and seven vials of God’s wrath.
2. These events are a combination of the unrestraint of sinful man and the pouring out of God’s wrath.
3. The first six seals give us a picture of the first half of the Tribulation.
- The opening of the seventh seal introduces us to the latter half of the week – the time of Great Tribulation.
B. In this portion of Scripture, we see just how wicked unrestrained men can become.
1. We see the extreme wickedness of that day in the killing of the two witnesses sent by God. Rev. 11:7-10.
2. The whole world will celebrate at the news of their death like they do today during the Christmas season.
C. We see the unveiling of the unholy trinity. Rev. 13.
· The ANTICHRIST
1. He comes out of the sea, which is used here to picture mankind. v. 1.
2. The seven heads, ten horns, and ten crowns describe the kingdom from which he comes. Dan. 7:24; Rev. 17:12.
· SATAN v. 2
- The Dragon is the Devil. Rev. 12:9.
1. Satan will provide the Antichrist with power, a throne and authority. v. 2.
2. The whole world will worship the Devil and the Antichrist. vv. 3-4.
3. The Antichrist will blaspheme God and make war against those who have been saved since the rapture. vv. 5-6.
· The FALSE PROPHET. v. 11.
1. He makes worship of the first beast mandatory. v. 12.
2. He is able to perform great miracles. vv. 13-15.
3. He demands that all take the mark of the Beast. vv. 16-17.
4. The Beast will be a man.
- His number “is the number of a man” v. 18.
III. WE ARE MADE AWARE OF THE FACT THAT A SUPERNATURAL GOD WILL PERMIT THINGS TO GO ONLY SO LONG BEFORE HE COMES IN JUDGMENT Rev. 19:11-21; 20:1-10.