THE TRIBULATION PERIOD I
We have seen that the Second Coming of Christ consists of two phases, and that these two phases are to be separated by a period of time.† This period of time is believed to be the time of the future great Tribulation.
A. The Tribulation is described as the most awful period in the worldís history.
B. It will begin with the Rapture of the believer. I Thess. 4:15-17.
1. The Tribulation will be a time when the forces of evil will have complete liberty because the Holy Spirit will have been taken out of the world. II Thess. 2:7-9.
2. Terrible things will take place on this earth at that time.
-- Iniquity will come to its fulfillment.
a. The world will be without the gospel.
b. There will be no Bible-believing Churches.
c. There will be no Christian influence.
d. Sin in all forms will be allowed to proceed without any hindrance whatsoever.
C. This period will conclude with the Lord coming with His saints to judge the wicked and to set up His Kingdom.
- This will take place at the final siege of Jerusalem in the battle of Armageddon. Rev. 16:13-21; 19:11-21.
A. The Lord will deal primarily with Israel during this final seven year period.
1. God is not dealing with the Church here, but with Israel.
2. The Church will have already been raptured out.
3. While there are things that will affect the whole world, God is dealing primarily with His covenant people, the Jews.
B. The Antichrist will enter into a covenant with Israel for the seven year period. Dan. 9:27.
1. This covenant would seem to be, among other things, permission for Israel to resume the old system of sacrifices and offerings.
2. In the midst of the week (or three and one half years) the prince will break the covenant and there will be what is known as the abomination of desolation.
a. This prince will make an image of himself and cause men to worship that image.
b. This Satanís last attempt to rid the world of anything that would remind him of God.
III. OUR LORD DESCRIBED THIS PERIOD WHEN HE TAUGHT ON THE END TIMES
A. The Lord instructed His disciples to understand that Daniel was speaking of the seven year Tribulation period. Mt. 24:15.
1. The Lord informed His disciples that a terrible time would come on the earth, at which time the special target of the enemy would be the Jew.
2. This will be a time of great trouble for Israel. vv. 15-22.
B. This Tribulation period is described by other Old Testament writers.
1. Jeremiah spoke of it as ďthe time of Jacobís troublesĒ(Jer. 30:7).
2. Zechariah spoke of a day when all nations would gather to battle against Jerusalem. Zech. 14:1-2.
- Here we see that Lord coming to Israelís defense at His return to this earth. Zech. 14:3.
- All the unsaved at Christís coming will go into the Tribulation.