WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT SATAN (2)
We have already noted that in his original state, Satan was created and “angel of God.”
He was perfect in wisdom and beauty until he was lifted up with pride and cast out of Heaven for his rebellion against God. Ezek. 28:12-17; Isa. 14:12-15.
Satan is a murderer and a liar; he is the performer of lying wonders; and he is the master of the unsaved.
A. He is the “Prince of the power of the air”(Eph. 2:2).
1. Unsaved people are under Satan’s control as their leader and prince.
2. He is the ruler of the empire of evil spirits, whose abode is in the air. Eph. 6:11-12.
3. He is the prince of the fallen angels, and leads them, and unsaved men in afflicting and persecuting God’s people.
B. Satan is the Prince of the world. Jn. ; .
1. This world system is under Satan’s power.
2. He is its god and prince.
3. Since Satan is the prince of the world, and has powerful influence over the men in it, the believer must expect hatred and persecution from it.
C. Satan is the “god of this world”(II Cor. 4:4).
1. Satan is called the “god of this world,” because he rules in the lives of the wicked in this world.
2. He has dominion over the world and they obey his will.
3. The religious world particularly is under his control, and subject to him.
4. The entire world, except for those the Lord has called out of their sin, is in bondage to the god of this world.
D. Satan is an “angel of light”(II Cor. ).
1. Satan is capable of appearing to be an angel of light.
a. He who is an apostate angel; who is vicious and wicked; who is the prince of evil, assumes the appearance of a holy angel.
b. As an angel of light, Satan appears to be pure and holy.
c. We need to realize that he can be very deceptive.
d. He will never appear as bad as he is.
e. This is the reason that wicked men do not believe that there is such a being as Satan.
f. Though they are continually under his influence, and are “led captive by him at his will,” he never reveals his true character.
2. Satan has his own ministers who seek to deceive many by posing as ministers of Christ. v. 13.
a. These ministers of Satan pretend to be ministers of righteousness. v. 15.
b. Our Lord warned of false prophets (preachers) who would come in His name. Mt. 7:15-20.
c. The only way you can know the difference between a minister of Christ and a minister of Satan is to be saved and to have a knowledge the Word of God. II Jn. 7, 9-11.
A. He originated sin. Ezek. 28:15.
B. He causes suffering. Acts 10:38.
C. He causes death. Heb. 2:14.
D. He ensnares men. II Tim. 2:26.
E. He blinds men (spiritually). II Cor. 4:4.
F. He hinders God’s servants. I Thess. 2:18.
G. He accuses the believer. Rev. 12:9-10.
A. Satan will be bound and cast into the bottomless pit during the thousand-year reign of Christ on this earth. Rev. 20:1-3.
B. At the end of the thousand-year reign of Christ, Satan will be cast into the lake of fire after trying one last time to overthrow Christ’s earthly kingdom. Rev. 20:7-10.