WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT ANGELS I
Part I: SOME FACTS ABOUT ANGELS
Text v. 14
Angels do exist.
Throughout the Word of God from Genesis to Revelation the “angels of God” are mentioned.
In the Old Testament, angels are mentioned at least 115 times, while in the New Testament they are referred to more than 179 times.
The word “angel” means, “messenger.”
Angels are a distinct order of creation, and have been given a heavenly position above that of man. Ps. 8:4-5.
There is an innumerable company of angels – they are a countless number, or an exceedingly great number. Heb. 12:22; Rev. 5:11.
Sometimes angels took on a material appearance in order to be seen by men. Mt. 28:2-3; Acts 1:9-11.
I. LET’S CONSIDER A COUPLE OF ANGELS THAT ARE NAMED IN SCRIPTURE
A. MICHAEL – Meaning, “Who is like unto the Lord.”
- He is seen:
1. As the Prince of
2. As contending with Satan. Jude 9.
3. At war with Satan. Rev. 12:7-10.
B. GABRIEL – Meaning, “The mighty one.”
- He is seen:
1. Giving Daniel wisdom. Dan 8:16.
2. Announcing the birth of John the Baptist. Lk. 1:13, 19.
3. Announcing the birth of Jesus. Lk. 1:26-38.
A. Their existence is established in the Old Testament. Ps. 68:17.
B. Our Lord spoke of “the angels which are in heaven”(Mk. ).
- Angels were created by God to minister to His people.
A. It is impossible for us to know the true nature of the angels.
B. We can, however, get a glimpse of their character from the Scripture.
1. They are created beings. Ps. 148:2-5.
2. They are spirit beings. Heb. 1:13-14.
3. They are wise beings. II Sam. 14:20.
- David’s wisdom was compared to that of an angel of God.
4. Angels are not able to marry. Mt. 22:30.
- They have spiritual or immortal bodies, which are not capable of reproduction.
5. Angels are powerful beings. Ps. 103:20.
6. Angels are immortal beings. Lk. 20:35-36.
7. Angels are glorious beings. Lk. 9:26.
1. We must remember that some of the angels joined Satan in his rebellion against God, and are being held for judgment. Jude 6; II Pet. 2:4
2. Angels have an active part in our everyday lives.