WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT CULTS
WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT SPIRITISM OR THE OCCULT
I Jn. 4:1-4
Everyone in the world is spirit-controlled!
Every person is controlled either by the Holy Spirit or by the power of spiritual darkness (Col. 1:13-14).
We hear much today about people being filled with the Spirit, but I am afraid that not all who are claiming to be filled are filled with the Spirit of God.
Satan is working overtime, today, seeking to deceive young and old by his subtle tricks.
The further folks stray from the Word of God, the more they are enticed by Spiritism and the Occult. This is a rapidly growing phenomenon in our day. The sale of Occult books has mushroomed. Astrology columns are printed in about two-thirds of all newspapers. Television talk shows pay large sums to have well-known astrologers or mediums appear on their programs.
We must beware of this great evil in our midst.
DEFINITION of the Occult.
Something hidden, mysterious or pertaining to the supernatural, magical or mystical.
The Occult involves astrology, clairvoyance (the ability to perceive hidden or unseen things), divination (trying to foretell the future or the unknown), magic, fortunetelling (foretelling events in the lives of others), crystal reading, palmistry (the pretended art of telling a person’s fortune by the lines in his hand), etc.
A. Spiritism existed in Bible times, and the Bible speaks against it.
B. The Occult is on the rise today, because of the failure of liberal churches to preach the Word of God.
1. They have denied the reality of the supernatural and have not given Biblical answers to life’s questions.
2. People have been left without the knowledge of a Sovereign God to whom they can turn for help.
3. Many churches are seeking to bring about a social change while their members are left to drift in a spiritual vacuum.
a. They are seeking to fill that vacuum with the Occult.
b. Satan is taking them captive.
C. Parents are more concerned with the material welfare of their children than they are with their spiritual condition.
- If you do not teach your child the fear of God, he is very likely to be deceived by Satan and his doctrine.
D. The increase in the Occult is a clear sign of the end of the age and of Christ’s soon return.
“Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils”(I Tim. 4:1).
II. THE PRACTICE OF SPIRITISM AND THE OCCULT IS FORBIDDEN BY GOD
A. All who practiced sorcery or witchcraft were to be put to death under the law.
“Thou shalt not suffer a witch (wizard [man]) to live”(Ex. ).
B. God strongly condemns those who practice witchcraft and black magic. Deut. 18:10-12, 14.
1. God will cut off those who turn to mediums. Lev. 19:31; 20:6, 27.
2. It is an insult to God to consult mediums when you can inquire of Him. Isa. 8:19-20.
C. Those who practice sorcery (witchcraft) cannot
- They will be shut out of heaven and will be sent to Hell for eternity. Rev. 21:8l
III. CHRISTIANS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO SATANIC INFLUENCE
A. It is possible for demons to influence the Christian to sin. I Cor. 5:5; .
- Satan’s goal is to keep Christians from walking in obedience to God.
B. The Lord has provided the spiritual weapons for victory in this conflict with Satan. Eph. 6:10-18).
1. We are to put on Christ Who is our Armor. Rom. .
2. We are to PRAY.
3. This is our supply line by which we receive continual resources from God. v. 18.
1. We must recognize that Satan does have power.
a. We are not to play with fire.
b. We are not to become involved in any kind of Spiritism, such as using Ouija boards, palmistry, astrology, etc.
2. We need to live close to the Savior in order to have victory over Satan.
The Word of God tells us to, “Submit yourselves therefore to God, Resist the devil, and he will flee from you”(Jas. 4:7).