WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT CULTS
A. They teach that when an individual dies he goes to purgatory.
1. He remains there until he is “purged” from all sin by prolonged sufferings.
2. They teach that the time of suffering can be shortened by:
a. Practicing indulgences before death.
b. Attending Mass, saying prayers, visiting shrines, etc.
3. Relatives can pay to have Masses said to help their dead loved ones get out of purgatory.
B. They have no way of knowing how long a person will stay in purgatory.
- How does a Catholic Priest determine when to stop saying masses for a given individual?
C. The BIBLE teaches that the believer’s sins were purged by Christ (Heb. 1:3; ; ).
II. WHAT ROMAN CATHOLICS TEACH ABOUT THE LORD’S SUPPER
A. They teach that it is a Sacrament.
- That it is a means of grace…
- There were only two ordinances given by our Lord, and they bestow no grace.
B. Catholics believe in the doctrine of TRANS-SUBSTANTIATION.
- This doctrine
teaches that the bread and wine actually become the very body and blood of
Jesus Christ at a certain point of the
C. Catholics believe the bread actually becomes God, and they worship the bread as God…
- This is idolatry.
- They believe they are receiving Christ every time they take communion.
- Christ used the bread and the fruit of the vine as symbols.
D. Catholics believe that Jesus Christ is LITERALLY
being sacrificed again in the
- They do not believe that Christ’s death was sufficient to save sinners.
- They deny Christ’s words on the cross, when He cried, “It is finished.”
E. The Word of God sets before us Christ’s finished work.
- He died once and forever…Heb. -14; 26-28; -18).
A. They teach that there is no salvation outside of their church.
1. They believe that no person can go to heaven that is not baptized in the Catholic church.
2. They teach that anyone who thinks he can be saved by faith alone is cursed.
B. The Roman Church teaches that Catholics must obey every command given by the Church, in order to be saved.
C. They teach that the priest has the power to forgive sins.
D. They teach that there is no direct access to God in prayer.
1. This is why they pray to Mary and to other saints.
2. This is why they confess their sins to the priest.
E. Let’s note what the BIBLE teaches about salvation.
The Bible teaches that:
1. We are saved by grace through faith (Eph. 2:8-10; Tit. 3:5-7).
2. Baptism is not necessary to salvation (Acts -31; Rom. 4:3, 5, 16).
3. Only God can
forgive sin (
4. Christ alone is our Mediator.
- He settles the account between sinful man and the Holy God (I Tim. 2:5-6; Heb. ).
5. Christ is our Intercessor.
- He pleads and intercedes with God on our behalf (Heb. -18; -16).
There is no salvation except by faith in Christ (Jn. 14:6; Acts ).