WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT CULTS
WHAT MORMONS BELIEVE AND TEACH (2)
Text v. 8
Joseph Smith, who is also known as the Mormon “Prophet”, started this cult.
Smith supposedly translated
the Book of Mormon from some golden plates, which he claims were revealed to
him by the angel
The Mormons officially recognize the Book of Mormon as having equal authority with the Bible. In practice, it is held in higher esteem than the Bible, because the Book of Mormon teaches that man has perverted the Bible down through time.
We have already considered:
I. WHAT THE MORMONS BELIEVE ABOUT THE BIBLE.
A. They do not believe that the Bible is God’s only true and complete revelation.
B. They teach that the Bible has been corrupted and the Book of Mormon was given to restore the precious truths that were lost.
C. The Bible warns that we are to avoid those that seek to pervert or belittle the Scriptures (Gal. 1:8-9; Rev. 22:18-19).
Today, we want to consider:
II. WHAT THE MORMONS BELIEVE ABOUT GOD
A. They do not believe in ONE GOD IN THREE PERSONS.
1. They believe and teach that god is not one, but actually three gods.
2. They believe that the Father has a body of flesh and bones, as does Jesus Christ.
3. They, like the Jehovah’s Witnesses, believe that the Holy Spirit is merely an impersonal influence.
B. Mormons are POLYTHIESTS with pagan concepts of deity.
1. They teach that there are many gods, and that these gods have appointed one to be God the Father to rule over the earth as the supreme God.
2. They teach that the gods were once men and men someday become gods if they pass their probation period.
C. Followers of this cult bring God down to human level and exalt man to the level of deity.
1. They deny that God is an eternal, immutable, Spirit Being.
2. They deny that God is different from His creation.
D. Mormons teach that Christ is the FIRST BEGOTTEN OF GOD’S MANY SPIRIT CHILDREN.
1. They teach that Christ was preexistent, yet He is no more divine than any man who becomes a god.
2. They teach that Christ was a polygamist.
supposedly married Mary, Martha, and Mary Magdalene at the wedding at
b. It was necessary for Christ to marry, because only those sealed in celestial marriage can become gods.
c. Mormons still practice polygamy.
- Joseph Smith had close to 50 wives; and Brigham Young had 27 wives.
- The Bible teaches that one man and one woman are to be joined together in marriage (Gen. 2:23-24).
E. What the Bible teaches about God.
The Bible teaches that:
1. God is SPIRIT (Jn. ).
2. God is ONE (Isa. 43:10-11; 44:6; Mk. 12:29-32; Jn. 10:30; Eph. 4:6).
3. Christ is ETERNAL GOD INCARNATE (Jn. 1:1-4, 14, 18; Lk. 2:7-11).
4. The HOLY SPIRIT IS A PERSON (I Cor. ; Heb. ; Ps. 139:7-13).
5. Man is GOD’S CREATION (Gen. 1:27; Col. 1:16-17).
6. Those who believe on Christ as Savior and Lord BECOME SONS (or children) OF GOD (Jn. -13; I Jn. 3:2).