WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT CULTS
When we hear the impressive Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” it is difficult to believe that they represent a cult, which teaches there are many gods. They teach that man can become a god. They teach that the Bible is not God’s complete and final revelation. They teach that a man should have as many wives as possible, along with many other heresies.
The Mormons, as they are most commonly
called, are divided into two major groups; The
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, with headquarters in
Joseph Smith, who grew up under the influence of superstitious, unlearned parents, started the cult. When Joseph was about fourteen he had his first “vision.” According to his testimony, two heavenly beings appeared to him, whom he claimed were God the Father and God the Son. They told him that all faiths were wrong and he should join none of them.
In 1827 the angel
In 1830 the Book of Mormon was published and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was officially organized, having six members. Within a year the group grew to forty, and today its number is in the millions.
This group which
was started in
A mob broke into
the jail and killed Joseph Smith in 1844.
He had been jailed for ordering his followers to burn down the press of
an anti-Mormon paper that had published several articles which displeased him. After Smith’s death, Brigham Young led the
A. They do not believe that the Bible is God’s only true and complete revelation.
1. The Book of Mormon teaches that only a fool would accept the Bible as God’s complete and final revelation.
- This statement is found in II Nephi 29:6, 9-10.
2. The Mormons believe that Christendom has corrupted the Bible down through the ages and that the book of Mormons was given to restore these precious truths. I Nephi 13:26-28
3. The golden plates, from which the book of Mormon was supposedly
translated, were written by Mormon and later buried by his son
B. Some questions to consider:
1. If Mormon was of the group called the Nephites, and the Nephites were Jews, why were these tables written in Reformed Egyptian instead of the everyday languages of the people, which were Hebrew or Greek?
- Why is there no record of the Reformed Egyptian language in the archives of antiquity?
2. Why does the Book of Mormon, translated from tablets written before A.D. 421, contain 27,000 words from the King James Version translated in 1611, including practically all the Sermon on the Mount?
C. The Mormons deny the Bible to be inspired where it contradicts their “sacred” books.
They must have their own “sacred” Scriptures because in reality, they have rejected the Bible.
D. God gives a WARNING to Mormons or anyone else who would seek to pervert the Scriptures.
1. God’s Word is complete. Deut. 4:2; ; Prov. 30:5-6; Rev. 22:18-19
2. Anyone who speaks contrary to the Word of God is walking in darkness. Isa. 8:20
3. Those who seek to add to, take away from, or change the Word of God, will be severely dealt with by the Lord Himself. Gal. 1:8-9; Rev. 22:18-19
4. The Lord speaks to us through His Word. Heb. 2:1-2
E. A right view of God comes only from His Word. Rom. ; II Tim. ; -17
- We are to avoid those who teach contrary to God’s Word. Rom. -18; II Cor. 11:3-4, 13-15).