WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT CULTS
II Jn. 9-11
DEFINITION OF A CULT:
A CULT is a system of religious worship whose doctrines are contrary to the Word of God.
Let’s begin by looking at some BACKGROUND information.
This movement began in 1884 when Charles Taze Russell incorporated the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.
Mr. Russell taught that a person couldn’t understand the Bible without the help of his notes, and that a person could “have the light of the Scriptures” just by reading his notes alone.
This man founded an organization through which God was supposedly speaking His truth. He claimed to be a Greek scholar and didn’t even know the Greek alphabet.
This cult has circled the globe and distributed untold quantities of literature.
It is a shame that Baptists don’t have the zeal that most cults have.
Let’s consider a number of things that JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES BELIEVE AND TEACH.
A. They claim to accept the authority of God’s Word.
B. They claim that it is God’s inspired and only revelation.
C. They use the Scriptures to deceive.
1. They take the Scriptures out of context to fit their own doctrine.
2. They have their own translation known as “The New World Translation of Holy Scriptures.”
3. They have added words to the text, to change the meaning in order to support their doctrine.
D. There is a warning given to anyone who would attempt to tamper with God’s Word (Rev. 22:18-19).
A. They deny the TRINITY.
1. They claim that Jehovah is the only true God.
2. They believe God’s first creative act was to create Christ.
a. The Bible teaches that Christ (the Word) “was in the beginning”(Jn. 1:1-2).
b. The Bible teaches that Christ (the Word) was the Creator of all things and the giver of life (Jn. 1:3-4; Col. 1:16-17).
3. Let’s note some Scriptures that show God to be a TRIUNE BEING.
a. The three persons of the Godhead are revealed in Mt. 3:13-17; 28:19.
b. The Bible declares Jesus
Christ to be God (Jn. 1:1-3; ; Rom. 9:5; I Tim. ;
Tit. ; I Jn. ).
c. The Bible declares the Holy Spirit to be God (Acts 5:3-4).
B. Jehovah’s Witnesses deny the HOLY SPIRIT to be God.
1. They claim that He is an impersonal, invisible spirit force.
2. They depersonalize the Holy Spirit as He is represented in Scriptures.
- They insert the impersonal pronoun “which” in the place of the personal pronoun “whom” in John .
3. They can’t explain how an impersonal force TEACHES or how it EXPERIENCES GRIEF (Eph. ).
C. Jehovah’s Witnesses deny the DEITY OF CHRIST.
1. They teach that in His human state, Christ was merely a perfect man.
a. They believe that in His preincarnate state, Christ was Michael the archangel.
b. Since Satan was also created by God as a high angelic being, Satan and Christ were actually brothers…this is BLASPHEMY!
2. Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that Christ earned the right to live forever, but He willingly gave up this right.
- They believe that His death as a perfect man was to provide the ransom to cancel death and to give man a chance to earn eternal physical life.
Our salvation is not determined by what we do, but by what Christ has done… “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us...”(Tit. 3:5).
3. Jehovah’s Witnesses deny Christ’s physical resurrection.
a. They teach that it was spiritual.
b. That God hid Christ’s body away somewhere.
c. That Christ returned to heaven as a spiritual being.
4. The fact of Christ’s resurrection and ascension is well documented in the Scriptures (Lk. 24:1-7, 30-43; Jn. 20:27-28; Acts 1:3-4, 9-11; I Cor. 15:1-8).
5. The Bible declares Jesus Christ to be God (Tit. -13-14).
6. To reject the deity of Christ is to have no knowledge of the Father (Jn. ; ; ; 17;3; I Jn. ; II Jn. 1:7).