WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT CULTS
I Pet. 3:15; II Cor. 6:14-18
A cult can be defined as a system of religious worship whose doctrines are contrary to the Word of God.
As Christians, we should be eager to share with others the hope that we have in Christ (I Pet. ).
A. We are to SANCTIFY the Lord Jesus Christ in our hearts.
1. This means to give the Lord the honor and reverence due Him.
2. It means to rely upon the power of the Lord, to trust in His faithfulness, submit to His wisdom, imitate His holiness, and give to Him the glory that is due His holy name.
3. We sanctify the Lord Jesus by believing His promises and trusting in His ability to defend us against our enemies.
B. We are to ALWAYS BE READY and EAGER TO DEFEND and JUSTIFY OUR FAITH, and to show the sure foundation upon which it rests.
C. We are to do this with courage, yet with a spirit of meekness, trusting the Lord to give us the needed wisdom and ability.
II. OUR MESSAGE OF HOPE IS SLAVATION BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH
A. Salvation is THROUGH CHRIST ALONE.
1. Jesus Christ is the ONLY Savior (Jn. 14:6; Acts -12).
2. Salvation is BY GRACE ALONE (Acts ; Rom. ).
3. Salvation is THROUGH FAITH ALONE (Eph. 2:8-9).
B. Every false religious system mixes GRACE WITH SACRAMENTS or FAITH WITH WORKS.
1. False religions teach that salvation is a cooperative affair between God and man.
2. Every religious system must be tested at this point.
a. Does it teach that salvation is by grace alone, or by grace plus the works of man?
b. Does it teach that salvation is through faith alone, or through faith plus works? (Eph. 2:8-9).
III. WE ARE WARNED TO SEPARATE OURSELVES FROM THOSE WHO TEACH CONTRARY TO THE SCRIPTURES (II Cor. -18)
A. The Lord warned His followers not to be deceived by false teachers and false Christs (Mt. 24:4-5, 23 24).
- Paul warned of false teachers who “pervert the gospel of Christ”(Gal. 1:6-9; Col. 2:8).
B. We are to separate ourselves from false teachers (II Cor. -18; I Tim. 6:3-6).
C. The Word of God shows us how to detect a false teacher (I Jn. 5:1; II Jn 7-11).
False teachers deny the finished work of Christ (Jude 3-4).
The Bible teaches that we are JUSTIFIED solely by the GRACE OF GOD (Titus 3:5-7).
If you think that
you can assist God in saving your sinful soul, you don’t understand the extent
of your depravity (