WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT MISSIONS
In relation to this text, we want to see several truths concerning missions.
I. THE PERSON OF MISSIONS vv. 44-46
A. We preach the same Christ that was preached in the Old Testament. v. 44
B. Christ was prophesied
to die for our offenses and to rise again for our justification. Vv. 45-46;
C. Christ would suffer and die according to Godís foreordained plan. II Tim. 1:9
II. GODíS PURPOSE IN MISSIONS v. 47
As born again believers, and as members of one of the Lordís churches, we are to show sinners:
A. The need to REPENT Acts 3:19; 17:30-31
B. That REMISSION (forgiveness) of sin is through the blood of Christ Mt. 26:28; Heb. 9:22
C. That eternal life is given to all who will believe in the name of Christ v. 47; Jn. 20:31
III. GODíS PLAN FOR MISSIONS v. 48
A. We are to interpret and obey the commission as did the early apostles and disciples.
1. In Acts we see the members of the church at Jerusalem going out with the Gospel.
2. We find Paul and Barnabas, the first missionaries, being sent out by the Church at Antioch. Acts 13
B. Each member of the local church was responsible to witness.
- ďAnd ye are witnessesĒ(v. 48).
C. The members of this church were to be witnesses at home and around the world. v. 47; Acts 1:8
IV. GODíS POWER FOR MISSIONS Lk. 24:49
1. We must have the POWER of God.
2. There is the temptation of relying on our own programs and strategies rather than on the power of God.
3. We need to plan and we need a strategy, but we dare not substitute them for Godís demonstration of power through the Holy Spirit. Acts 1:8.
B. We must wait on God in prayer. Acts 2:42, 46-47
1. We need to pray for the Lord to send forth laborers. Mt. 9:36-38
2. We need to pray for specific needs.
a. We need to pray specifically for the needs of our church.
b. We need to pray specifically our missionaries and their needs.
c. When was the last time you prayed?
C. The Lord will give a special reward to those who are faithful in fulfilling the Great Commission. Jn. 4:35-38; Dan. 12:2-3
V. THE PROVISION FOR MISSIONS
A. It cost money to propagate (spread) the Gospel.
The Gospel, like water is free, but it cost money to get it where it can be productive.
B. God can and does supply the need.
1. He makes His disciples stewards of His provisions. I Cor. 16:2
2. The Lord promises to meet the needs if we will give freely and cheerfully. II Cor. 8:12-15; 9:6-8
3. Christ is our example in giving. II Cor. 8:9
C. The Lord will bless those who give to missions. Phil. 4:15-19
D. The Lord will hold us responsible for what He has given to us. Mt. 25:14-29
Godís plan for missions is that we give and go that the Person of missions might be proclaimed to a lost and dying world.