THE MEANING OF DISCIPLESHIP
WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT DISCIPLESHIP
1. There are a few times when this term is applied to the followers of John the Baptist (Mt. ).
2. There is also mention of the disciples of the Pharisees (Mt. ).
3. But principally this term is applied to the followers of Christ.
- A disciple of Christ is one who:
a. Believes his doctrine,
b. Rests on his sacrifice,
c. Is indwelt by his spirit, and
d. Imitates his example (Mt. ; Lk. ,27,33; Jn. 6:69).
A. To be a disciple means to follow and learn.
B. A disciple is one who follows a teacher and learns from him.
C. A Christian disciple is one who follows Christ and is obedient to His Word.
A. There are Superficial Disciples.
- They have a shallow superficial faith.
- They follow Christ for selfish reasons.
- They usually quit when it begins to cost them to serve Christ.
1. Many wanted to follow the Christ, Who fed the five thousandÖ(Jn. ).
- They followed Him in order to get their bellies filled (v. 26).
2. when the Lord informed them that He was the Sovereign God and that they must trust Him to receive eternal life, they murmured (vv. 27, 32-41).
a. In himself, the sinner has no ability to come to Christ (v. 44).
b. Jesus Christ must be received into oneís life by faith, as bread is taken into oneís body (vv. 51-57).
c. These superficial disciples were in no mood to accept the entrance of Christ into their lives (v. 60).
- They couldnít accept His demands because they felt they were far too stringent.
d. Many followed Christ until they learned that they would have to receive Him and obey Him (vv. 65-66).
B. There are True Disciples.
- Those who have exercised true saving faith will manifest themselves as true disciples (Jn. ).
- True faith always brings a person under the authority of Christ (Jn. ).
1. The New Testament Christian is a believer and a disciple.
a. You cannot be a believer without being a disciple.
b. It is
impossible to receive salvation from the Lord and at the same time reject His
2. One who truly trusts Jesus also OBEYS Him. Jn 13:34-35; ,21,23-24; .
3. Salvation is by faith alone, but faith results in OBEDIENCE.
- Faith that professes Jesus as Lord will express itself in doing the will of the Father in Heaven (Mt. ).
4. If we want the REST that Christ offers, we must be willing to take His YOKE (Mt. -30).
5. The general life-style of the Christian is one of OBEDIENCE.
a. The sheep follow the Shepherd (Jn. ).
b. We know that we are His sheep when we HEAR and OBEY our Lord.
Discipleship is obediently following the Lord and learning from Him through His Word (Jn. -26).