A WITNESS FOR CHRIST
Salvation is in a PERSON…JESUS CHRIST, and in order to win others to Him, we must engage in the ministry of witnessing.
Witnessing is sharing the good news of the Gospel, and this is the business of the church.
Every member of the local church is commissioned to be a witness.
We are here to: 1. Reach people;
2. Teach people;
3. Preach to people.
Every born-again believer is called to be a witness.
- A witness is one who “declares what he knows to be the truth.”
- A witness is one who gives testimony to what he has seen and heard.
- There are certain things that we must know and share in order to be an effective witness.
A. We must point out the need for REPENTANCE.
1. This was the underlying message of the Old Testament (Isa. 55:6-7).
2. This is the message of the New Testament (Acts ; ).
Repentance is more than just bowing the head and mumbling some words, it involves seeing your sin as an offense to the Lord God and confessing that sin with every intention of turning away from it.
Jesus came to save us “from sin,” not in sin.
3. Man must repent because he has offended God (Rom. , 23; ).
B. We must
point out the LORDSHIP of Christ (
1. Christ is LORD.
- He is Boss!
- He is supreme Master!
2. No one is saved until he recognizes and confesses Christ to be his LORD.
3. The very moment Saul (Paul) was saved, he recognized Christ as LORD (Acts 9:5-6).
C. We must point out the COST involved in being a disciple (Lk. -24).
1. There is more involved in being saved than just going through several points and saying a prayer.
2. If our Lord suffered, then we must be willing to do the same for His sake.
3. Live for self and you will lose your life: live for Christ and you will save your life (Mt. -26).
II. SOME OUTSTANDING WITNESSES IN THE BIBLE
1. He had compassion toward the sinner, but always showed them the need to repent (Jn. 8:1-11).
2. He pointed out the cost involved in being a disciple (Mk. -38).
1. He pointed his brother Peter to Christ (Jn. -42).
2. Andrew was so excited about finding the Messiah; he couldn’t wait to tell his brother Peter.
C. The woman of
1. The Lord had revealed Himself to her as the Messiah (Jn. -26).
then witnessed to the people of
III. WHY SHOULD EVERY CHRISTIAN BE A WITNESS?
A. Jesus encouraged and commanded it (Mk. ).
B. Jesus called His followers “witnesses.”(Acts 1:8).
C. The Holy Spirit empowers Christians for the job of witnessing (Acts 1:8; Jn. 16:7-8, 13-14).
We have the “Bread of Life” and we must be willing to share Him with the unsaved.
“He that winneth souls is wise”(Prov. ; Ps. 126:5-6)