THE SECURITY OF THE BELIEVER
The doctrine of eternal security is one of the most comforting doctrines in the Bible. The theological term for it is “the preseverance of the saints.”
The “security of the believer” is believed and taught by Baptist because it is taught in the Word of God. Security is, therefore, not only a Baptist doctrine, it is a Bible doctrine.
The Bible clearly states that a person who is saved can never be lost.
Let’s consider what the Word of God teaches concerning the security of the believer.
I. THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT THE BELIEVER IS ETERNALLY SECURE BECAUSE OF THE STRENGTH OF JESUS
A. Those who receive Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, can KNOW that they have eternal life
1. Sincere faith
in the Lord Jesus Christ will result in a confession with the mouth (
a. Inward faith in the heart and outward confession with the mouth are both necessary for salvation.
b. The evidence of true faith in the heart is confession with the mouth (Mt. ; I Jn. ).
c. By raising Christ from the dead, God has officially declared Him to be the Messiah.
d. It was through the resurrection that Christ obtained victory over sin, death and hell (Rom. ).
2. By grace, God has given to us eternal life, and this life is obtained through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ (I Jn. -13).
a. Because this life is in Christ, it is safe and secure.
b. Because He lives, we know that we too shall live.
B. The Holy Spirit continues the work of salvation for the believer until Jesus comes (Phil. 1:6).
1. God began the work of salvation in us (Phil. ).
2. Any work that God begins, He will surely finish.
C. No one can take the believer out of the hands of God the Father and God the Son (Jn. -29).
D. Nothing can separate the believer from the love of God (Rom. -39).
II. THE BELIEVER IS ETERNALLY SECURE BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN BORN INTO GOD’S FAMILY
A. The believer becomes “a child of God” through the “new birth”(Jn. 3:3-8).
Just as a son born to his earthly parents is always a son, even so are we always God’s children because of our spiritual birth into His family.
B. When the believer is disobedient, the Lord will chasten him, but he never ceases to be a child of God.
1. The Lord corrects those He loves (Prov. -12).
2. The Lord will not let His child continue to live in sin without chastening him (Heb. 12:6-8).
3. When we are chastened of God, we must remember that it comes from the hand of a loving Father that wants only what is best for us.
C. We are God’s children and nothing can change that (Gal. ).
1. We became a child of God when we believed on Jesus Christ (Gal. ).
2. We are not saved by works, and we are not kept by works.
a. We were saved by receiving Christ (Jn. ).
- We receive Christ by believing on His name.
b. Those that come to Christ by faith will never be cast out (Jn. ).
III. THE BELIEVER IS ENTERNALLY SECURE BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN SEALED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
A. The seal of the Holy Spirit secures us until the time of the redemption of our bodies (Eph. -14).
1. The believer has the inner witness of the Holy Spirit (Rom. , 16).
2. The indwelling Holy Spirit gives testimony of our future inheritance as the children of God (Rom. -18).
3. The Holy Spirit guarantees our inheritance in Jesus Christ.
4. He secures each believer and marks him with His own sacred seal.
B. We are warned not to grieve the Holy Spirit, who is preserving us until the coming of Christ, by being disobedient (Eph. ).
IV. THE BELIEVER IS ETERNALLY SECURE BECAUSE HE WAS CHOSEN IN CHRIST BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD
A. The believer is BLESSED in Christ (Eph. 1:3).
B. The believer was CHOSEN in Christ (Eph. 1:4; II Tim. 2:9).
C. The believer was PREDESTINATED to be a child of God (Eph. 1:5, 11).
D. The believer is MADE ACCEPTABLE by the work of Christ on his behalf (Eph. 1:6-7).
E. No wonder Paul was persuaded that the Lord would keep his promise to him (II Tim. ).
- Paul knew it was safe to trust the Lord!
Salvation is a FREE GIFT and GOD IS THE GIVER (Rom. ; Eph. 2:8-9).
Do you know what it is to quit trying and start trusting?