WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT SALVATION
This is one of the most important lessons in the Bible. If you miss salvation, many of the other truths that we have considered will have little meaning. Unless you are saved, you will never understand the Word of God (I Cor. ).
In this lesson, we want to cover three things about salvation:
1. The need of salvation;
2. The provision of salvation;
3. And the result of salvation.
- Two basic facts point out the need of salvation.
A. All men are sinners.
1. Sin is universal.
2. Because sin is universal, all men need to be saved.
- “All we like sheep have gone astray…”(Isa. 53:6).
- “For all have sinned”(Rom. ).
- “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world…”(Rom. , 19).
B. Man is incapable of saving himself.
1. The unsaved are “DEAD in sins”(Eph. 2:1).
2. A person who is spiritually dead can no more revive himself than a person who is physically dead can revive himself.
- Nothing short of a miracle of God’s grace can save a sinner.
- Only the Lord can raise a sinner from spiritual death, and give him eternal life.
II. THE PROVISION OF SALVATION
God came in the person of Christ to provide “a way of salvation” for the sinner, who can do nothing to save himself.
Salvation is NOT in a church or denomination.
Salvation is NOT in a creed or a law.
Salvation IS IN A PERSON – Jesus Christ!
- Jesus came “to save His people FROM their sins”(Mt. ).
- Jesus came to die in order that we might be saved (Jn. -18, 36).
- Jesus was condemned to death in order that we might have eternal life (Jn. ).
- ONLY JESUS can save us (Acts ).
A. Salvation is a PROVISION of GOD’S FREE GRACE (Eph. 2:8-9).
B. Salvation is PROVIDED according to GOD’S MERCY (Tit. 3:5).
C. Salvation is PROVIDED by THE BLOOD OF CHRIST through HIS DEATH ON THE CROSS (Heb. ; I Pet. ).
D. Salvation is
PROVIDED for ALL WHO CALL UPON THE RESURRECTED LORD (
III. THE RESULTS OF SALVATION
A. Salvation results in a person being born into the family of God (Jn. 3:1-8).
B. Salvation results in a person possessing eternal life (Jn. ).
C. Salvation results in a person becoming a new creature in Christ (II Cor. ).
results in a person having PEACE with God (
E. Salvation results in a person having a home in Heaven (Jn. 14:1-3).
Note some things about salvation:
1. Salvation is an experience with God.
2. Salvation is an experience of grace.
3. Salvation takes place in the heart.
4. Salvation takes place only once.
5. Salvation lasts for eternity.