WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT MAN
Text vv. 3-4
What is man? This is a question man has always sought to answer.
David looked at the vast expanse of the universe and then at insignificant man and asked why God was mindful of him.
The answer to David’s question is found only in the Bible.
I. MAN IS A RESULT OF GOD’S CREATION (Gen. 1:26-27).
A. Man is NOT a product of evolution.
1. The doctrine of evolution is a fool’s attempt to destroy the righteous and holy God Who holds him accountable for his sin.
2. The fool tries to convince his own heart that there is no God.
fool hath said in his heart, there is no God”(
3. The fool thinks he is right in his own eyes.
“The way of a fool is right in his own eyes…”(Prov. ).
4. In spite of his folly, every fool will stand before the Lord on judgment day.
“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment”(Heb. ).
B. Man was created in the image and likeness of God (Gen. 1:26, 27).
- Image—refers to the fact that man is essentially a spirit being.
- Likeness—refers to such things as his personality, etc.
1. The infallible Son of God accepted the Genesis account of creation (Mk. 10:6).
2. Only a fool would call our Lord a liar.
II. MAN WAS CREATED A TRI-PART BEING
A. When God created Adam, he was made up of a BODY, a SOUL, and a SPIRIT (Gen. 2:7).
1. The body was formed of the dust of the ground.
2. God breathed into him the “breath of life”(spirit).
3. Adam became a living soul.
- The soul links the spirit and the body.
B. The body is distinct from the soul and the spirit.
1. The souls of those martyred for the cause of Christ are seen in heaven (Rev. 6:9).
2. The Word of God can penetrate the very depths of the soul and the spirit (Heb. ).
3. Paul shows us that the total person is sanctified by God…spirit, soul and body (I Thess. ).
C. Let’s consider some interesting facts about the three-fold nature of man.
1. The BODY
a. It is a person’s connection with the material world.
b. It is the seat of his senses.
c. This is his world-consciousness.
2. The SOUL
a. It is the life of the body.
b. It is the seat of the intellect, emotions and will.
- The soul of our Lord was heavily vexed under the load of our guilt and sin (Mt. 26:38).
c. This is man’s self-consciousness.
3. The SPIRIT
a. It is the life principle bestowed by God.
b. It is the seat of moral consciousness (Job 32:8; Ps. ; Prob. )
c. It is a person’s connection with the living God.
- The part of man that KNOWS God (I Cor. ).
d. This is his God-consciousness.
- When Adam sinned he died spiritually—he lost this fellowship with God.
The flesh is the body of the soul, and the soul is the body of the spirit.
Every person born into this world since Adam (except for the Lord Jesus Christ) was born spiritually dead (Rom. ).
This is the reason we “must be born again”(Jn. 3:3, 7; Rom. ).