WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT
Jn. 14:16-18, 26
We have already considered both the personality and the deity of the Holy Spirit.
Today, we want to see what the Word of God teaches about THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT in relation to man.
- He has a pre-conversion ministry.
A. He STRIVES.
1. He does this through witnesses (Gen. 6:3).
2. The Spirit is said to strive with man in the testimony God had given by Noah.
3. The Spirit strove by Noahís preaching in the days the ark was being built (I Pet. 3:19-20).
B. The Holy Spirit TESTIFIES.
- He does this through the Word (Acts 5:30-32).
C. The Holy Spirit CONVICTS and CONVINCES.
1. All who are elected of God the Father, are brought into a state of obedience and purification from sin by the power of the Holy Spirit, and the blood of Christ (I Pet. 1:2).
2. Those whom God has chosen to salvation, He calls out of their sin by His Spirit, as a result of hearing His Word (II Thess. 2:13).
3. It is the Holy Spirit that empowers the Word (I Pet. 1:23).
4. No one is ever saved apart from hearing the Word of God (Rom. 10:13-17).
II. THE HOLY SPIRITíS WORK AMONG THE SAVED
A. The believer is born of the Spirit.
1. Jesus informed Nicodemus, who was devoutly religious, that he had to be born again of the Spirit in order to have eternal life (Jn. 3:3-8).
- The Spiritís operation, like that of the wind, is directed by God, unseen, and known by its effects.
2. In grace, the Spirit of God applies the blood of Christ to the sinner, and he is washed from his sins and renewed in his heart (Tit. 3:5).
B. The believer is sealed with the Spirit.
1.When a person becomes a Christian; he is given the Holy Spirit as a guarantee of his inheritance in Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:13-14; Rom. 8:16-17).
2. We should be eternally grateful to the Holy Spirit for His making it impossible for us to lose our salvation (Eph. 4:30).
- The sealing of the Holy Spirit is an assurance of final redemption.
C. The believer is indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
1. The One who sanctified us, dwells within us (Jn. 14:17; I Cor. 6:19-20).
2. The indwelling Spirit frees us from sin (Rom. 8:1-2).
3. The indwelling Spirit produces righteousness (vv. 3-4).
4. The indwelling Spirit gives a new disposition (vv. 5-9).
5. The indwelling Spirit who has quickened our souls will also raise our bodies in Godís time (vv. 10-11).
6. The indwelling Spirit leads us to do Godís will and to obey Him in all things (v. 14).
7. The indwelling Spirit gives assurance of our being adopted into the family of God (v. 16).
8. The indwelling Spirit ministers to us (vv. 13-15; II Tim. 1:7).
D. The believer can be filled with the Holy Spirit (Eph. 5:18).
1. The way to be filled with the Holy Spirit is to confess all sin and to submit totally to the Lord.
2. The Lord will not cleanse and fill a vessel unless He can put it to use.
3. If you have sin and rebellion in your heart, the Lord will not use you.
4. God is righteous to forgive the sins of those who turn to Him in honest confession (I Jn. 1:9).