WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT
I. THE DEITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IS SEEN BY THE DIVINE NAMES GIVEN HIM
A. He is called God (Acts 5:3-4).
B. He is called Lord (II Cor. 3:18).
1. It was the Spirit of the Lord who gave Isaiah his commission (Isa. 6:9-10; Acts 28:25-27).
2. The Spirit of the Lord spoke of the security of the believer in Christ (Jer. 31:33-34; Heb. 10:15-17).
II. THE DEITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IS SEEN BY DIVINE ATTRIBUTES ASCRIBED TO HIM
A. The Holy Spirit is eternal (Heb. 9:14).
B. He is holy the Holy Spirit.
C. He is love (Rom. 15:30).
D. He is omnipresent everywhere present (Ps. 139:7-10).
E. He is omnipotent all powerful (Lk. 1:35) The power of the Highest.
F. He is omniscient all knowing (I Cor 2:10-12).
III. THE DEITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IS SEEN BY THE DIVINE WORKS HE DOES
A. He was at work in creation (Gen. 1:1-2)
· As we look at the work of the Triune God in creation, we see that:
- The Father decreed.
- The Son spoke.
- And the Holy Spirit worked.
1. The Spirit of God performs the work of God.
2. We are made and given life by the power of the Holy Spirit (Job. 33:4).
B. The Holy Spirit imparts Spiritual life.
- As believers, we are quickened by the Spirit of God (Eph. 2:1, 5; Rom. 8:11).
C. The Holy Spirit is the Author of the Word of God (II Pet. 1:21).
1. He moved men to write a perfect Book.
2. The Holy Spirit empowers this Word:
a. To convict and convince of sin (Heb. 4:12-13).
- The Word is the sword of the Spirit (Eph. 6:17).
b. To give faith to believe (Rom. 10:17; I Pet. 1:23; Eph. 2:8-9).
- David spoke of being quickened by the Word (Ps. 119:50).
1. We see that the Holy Spirit of God is more than an it or a thing; He is more than a phantomHe is God!
2. We see the importance of the deity of the Holy Spirit.
- To sin against God is to grieve the Holy Spirit, and to quench his power.
- When we serve and obey God there is no limit to our power (Acts 1:8).