WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST
THE IMPORTANCE OF THE RESURRECTION TO THE CHRISTIAN FAITH
I Cor. 15:1-8, 12-23
“If Christ be not risen” is one of the most potent questions ever asked in connection with the Christian faith.
“Did Christ arise from the dead?” is the most important question facing the child of God. The resurrection of Christ is the most crucial event in history. “If Christ be not risen, our faith is vain”(I Cor. , 17).
Let’s consider a couple of facts in relation to the resurrection of Christ.
A. It verifies the claims of Jesus Christ.
1. This was the
theme of the Gospel message (
2. The resurrection proved Christ to be all He claimed to be.
a. He claimed to be God, the Messiah, and the Savior of the world.
- He said He would rise from the dead.
b. Christ arose and proved that He was everything He said He was.
c. Of all the world’s religions, only Christianity has a risen, living Head.
B. The resurrection affirms the truth of Scriptures.
1. God raised Jesus from the dead as He had promised in the Old Testament (Acts -33).
2. Moses and the prophets spoke of the resurrection throughout the Old Testament (Lk. 24:25-27).
3. If we believe the Bible then we will have no problem believing that Christ arose from the dead.
C. The resurrection authenticates the Christian faith (I Cor. -19).
- If Christ be not risen, then:
1. Our preaching is vain (v. 14).
2. Our faith is vain (v. 14, 17).
3. We are false witnesses (v. 15).
4. There is no forgiveness for sin (v. 17).
5. There is no hope after death (vv. 18-19).
II. THE RESURRECTION IS THE MOST ACCREDITED FACT OF HISTORY
· Our Lord showed Himself alive by “many infallible proofs”(Acts 1:3).
· These proofs are:
A. The empty tomb (Lk. 24:1-3).
1. His enemies wouldn’t have taken His body and His friends couldn’t have done so.
2. He is risen!
B. The new day of worship.
1. Even the Jewish believers emphasized the first day over the Sabbath Day.
2. Our resurrected Lord came forth on the “first day”(Lk. 24:1-8).
3. Paul preached to the assembled disciples on the first day (Acts 20:7).
4. The Christians at
C. The testimony of eye witnesses.
- Over 500 brethren saw Christ alive after His death (I Cor. 15:4-8).
D. The transformation of the disciples.
1. When Christ died, His disciples lost hope (Lk. 24:13-21).
2. It was the fact of a risen Savior that caused the disciples to go forth with their powerful message (Acts -36).
E. The power of the message today.
1. This power is seen everywhere the message of the risen Christ is preached.
2. This message has the power to transform lives when it is believed.
3. Those who know Christ as Savior can testify to the fact that “He ever lives.”
Has your life been changed by the power of the resurrected Christ?