THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
Pastor Floyd Koenig
Wooster Baptist Temple
PO Box 433
Wooster, OH 44691-0433
Lk. 12: 35-48
Text v. 40
The Word of God has much to say about the Second Coming of Christ. However,
the exact time of His Second Coming will not be known in advance. It will
be at a time when it is least expected. We are to expect and be ready for
the Lord’s coming at any time.
I. THE LORD IS COMING AGAIN
A. Our Lord has promised that He will come again. Jn. 14:3.
1. The Lord has come once and He will come again.
2. He will come again, because He has promised to return.
- We can take Him at His word.
3. Among the last of the words that He spoke to His servant John are
these, "Surely I come quickly"(Rev. 22:20).
B. The angels declared that Christ is coming again. Acts 1:8-11.
1. As our Lord was taken up into heaven, two angels declared that
He would come again.
2. They made it clear that His coming would be bodily and visible—this
does not speak of a spiritual return as some would have us to believe.
a. When Christ comes again, He is coming in the clouds.
- When Christ was taken up, "a cloud received Him…"(v. 9).
b. Christ is coming again, "in like manner" as He went away into
heaven. v. 11.
C. The apostles taught that Christ is coming again.
1. This is clearly taught in Matthew’s Gospel. Mt. 24:42-44.
2. John informs us believers that when Christ appears again,
we will be made like Him. I Jn. 3:1-2.
3. James encourages the believer to be patient in waiting for
the coming of the Lord. Jas. 5:7-8.
4. Jude warns that the Lord is coming in judgment on the ungodly.
II. OUR LORD HAS PROMISED TO COME IN PERSON
1. Christ does meet the believer on this side of death, but that is
not the meaning of Christ’s Second Coming as taught in the Scriptures.
Some try to explain the Second Coming of Christ away by saying that
He comes when a believer dies.
2. He who went up to heaven will come down from heaven in an instant.
I Cor. 15:51-52; I Thess. 4:16-17.
B. Our Lord will come down from heaven and stand again in the latter
day upon this earth.
1. Job knew that He would see the incarnate Son of God, the Lord Jesus
Christ, who was his Redeemer, standing in His resurrected body on this
earth. Job 19:25.
2. Job had a glorious hope, that both the soul and body would enjoy
the presence of the Lord at His Second Coming.
3. Job knew that one-day He would see Christ in the flesh with his
own fleshly eyes. Job 19:26-27.
C. Christ, who came into this world the first time in shame to redeem
a people unto Himself, shall certainly come again in glory to rule and
reign, as He has promised.
1. The One that was exalted to the right hand of the Father as our
Mediator and Intercessor is coming again as Lord of all. Phil. 2:9.
- He only is Christ, the Anointed of God.
2. The time is coming when everyone will acknowledge Him as the Sovereign
of all. vv. 10-11.
III. THE WHOLE SCHEME OF REDEMPTION DEMANDS THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
A. Christ came the first time as the Man of sorrows to make atonement
for sin. I Pet. 3:18.
B. He is coming again to receive His own unto Himself.
1. He came once to offer Himself as a sin offering, and it
is declared that He will come again without a sin offering.
2. He came the first time to redeem a people by His own suffering and
death, and He is coming again to claim those that He purchased with His
own blood. Rev. 1:5-8.
3. He came once that His heel might be bruised; He is coming again
to break the serpent’s head, and to rule over His enemies with a rod of
4. He came once to wear the crown of thorns; He is coming again wearing
a crown of glory, which speaks of His sovereign rule over all the earth
as King of kings and Lord of lords. Rev. 11:15; 17:14.
5. When Jesus Christ comes again: none will spit in His face, but every
knee will bow before Him and every tongue shall confess that He is Lord
to the glory of God the Father.
6. The crucified Lamb of God shall come again, and though the nail
prints will be visible, no nails will bind His hands to the cross; but
instead, He shall hold the scepter of universal sovereignty, and rule and
reign forever and ever. Rev. 19:11-16.
IV. THE COMING OF CHRIST WILL BE IN TWO PHASES
A. In the first phase, He will come in the air for
I Thess. 4:15-17.
B. In the second phase, He will come to the earth with His
own as a King to conquer and reign. Zech. 14:9; Rev. 19:11, 16; 20:1-5.
V.THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST IS IMMINENT
A. Our Lord will come in His own time.
B. He could come at any moment!
C. He warns us to be ready. Lk. 12:35-40.
1. To gird up the loins means to be ready, to be active, and to be
diligent. v. 35: I Pet. 1:13.
2. To let your lights be burning also means to be ready, watching,
and anticipating the Lord’s coming. Mt. 25:1-13.
1. Christ is coming again!
2. Are you ready?
3. When He comes, it will be too late to get ready!
Return To Main Study Page